Here's your gentrification-eviction-displacement electro theme song. Let's dance.

(12)

"Hey gurl, where you moving to? Moving to the East Bay, living life the broke way. SF keep your money. FUCK YOUR MONEY!"

In-our-face drag performer Persia has teamed up with phantasmic trio Daddies Plastik to create an ecstatic dance punk anthem for our insane SF economic times, "Google Google Apps Apps." It's really catchy! Gentrify me, gentrify me, gentrify my love.

And it all comes from personal experience.

;

Persia told me (appropriately through Facebook):

It all began a few weeks ago, when I received an invite via facebook to "Save Esta Noche," the only gay Latino bar in SF (where I perform every Saturday at 7pm and 11:30pm with Mitzy Lee, Vicky Jimenez and Lulu). Apparently the bar was in trouble, they had lapsed on some of their bills and the bar was on the verge of closing. Upon reading the invite, I realized that none of the Esta Noche performers were on the bill, so I made a few phone calls and put in my two cents. I was directed to the offices of David Campos, whose staff was behind organizing the event. I informed them that I found it appalling that there were no Esta Noche performers on the bill. They informed me that everything was done last minute and they were not able to contact us but they were very grateful that I called and wanted us. So, Lulu and Mitzy Lee and myself, were added to the bill. All while getting ready to be un-employed from my current job, SFMOMA, when it closes for remodeling.

Facing unemployed from possibly two places had me on edge. My stress level was at a maximum. However, it wasn't until I saw my friends perform at the Eagle, Daddies Plastik (San Cha, Vain Hein, Tyler Holmes), that it dawned on me, "I should write a song, and have my friends help me." Lately, the Black Glitter Collective (a group of artists and homies I'm in) have all been facing troubling life events; from couch surfing to having problems with our landlords, to losing jobs, having work hours cuts, moving to the East Bay, etc. So, as Daddies Plastik performed their last song, I wrote down lyrics on my phone. I wanted the song to be silly and in your face.

Two days later I went to Daddies Plastik's home in West Oakland. They came up with a hawt tune, we structured my ideas in pop-music format and on May 18th we performed it live at Esta Noche, for their benefit. Then last night, we took the song to our producer Keith Tadashi Kubota aka I.VII.I.IX. and he worked his magic.

We, Daddies Plastik and I, will continue to collaborate. This summer we'll be working on an EP, along the same lines as Google Google Apps Apps. Together, alongside the Black Glitter Collective, we'll be working on music videos and other projects.

You can see a video of Persia and Daddies Plastik performing Google Google Apps Apps at Esta Noche here.

Comments

ick

Posted by Zechmann on May. 29, 2013 @ 1:56 pm

dick

Posted by Violent Vickie on May. 30, 2013 @ 3:28 pm

Best story i've heard in quite some time! Love the positivity in the face of adversity (and gentrification)

Posted by Guest on May. 29, 2013 @ 2:04 pm

This article is so what's happening in my neighborhood, I've been displaced by high rents and shit wages, new faces in the neighborhood sprouting up out of the UCSF Benioff clinic that is opening in Dogpatch/Portrero. I too love the positivity in this article as well as Persia's two cents. Farewell SF moving on to greener pastures....

Posted by Taeo79 aka Tony Ayala on May. 29, 2013 @ 2:31 pm

you can sing to your little heart's content.

Posted by anon on May. 29, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

I remember in the late 90s and early 00s a similar story in San Francisco, where big business and high cost development displaced a previous generation of working class, working artist communities, more often than not folks of color. Of course a lot of those developments bombed with very quick turnover, but the damage to this City's cultural and artistic landscapes had been done. Its refreshing to hear some resistance this time around in the shape of a catchy dance tune! Haaay, Black Glitter Collective! xxoo!

Posted by Jimmy Swear aka James Rouse Iniguez on May. 29, 2013 @ 3:40 pm

I bought a rental building in the Mission in 1997 for 500K. It maxxed in 2006 at 1.5 million, then went down to 1.2 million, but now it is worth 1.6 million.

So the rise in values far exceeded the downward move. If that's as bad as it gets in SF for Re, then I can live with that.

Posted by guest on May. 29, 2013 @ 3:50 pm

Interesting that the lyrics of this song hostile to the tech industry were written on a phone.

Posted by Guest on May. 29, 2013 @ 10:49 pm

It's interesting how all those blacks wanted out of slavery even though they got free food, and home..

Posted by Guest on Jul. 10, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

best reply to a comment ever!

Posted by Guest on Nov. 11, 2013 @ 12:43 am

i <3 this song & Daddies Plastik & the Black Glitter crew!

I also wrote a song called "City For The Rich" about gentrification when I was having a difficult time finding housing in San Francisco in the fall. I finally found a room, but it wasn't big enough to move all my stuff to, so my stuff has been in storage for the past year. I plan to try my luck in LA this summer. Here's my song:

Posted by Violent Vickie on May. 30, 2013 @ 3:24 pm
Posted by Guest on Jul. 31, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.